By Lisa Martin
(Australian Associated Press)
Its winter wonderland status is much beloved.
But when the snow melts and the wildflowers bloom, the winter might disappear but the wonderland remains.
If you’re not an enthusiastic beachgoer and want to avoid sunburn perhaps it’s time for an inland getaway with crisp mountainous air.
The Snowy Mountains in southern NSW are the perfect playground for families in search of adventure and a top notch destination for a girls or couples weekend away.
As you drive up the Alpine Way, you might spot a welcome party of wild brumbies galloping in the paddocks roadside.
This is horse country after all.
One way to truly get into the spirit of the high country is an outdoor dining experience under the stars complete with a horse riding spectacular at Lake Crackenback Resort and Spa on Saturday evenings.
As the sun sets and light fades over the mountain tops, Nev Barrass shows off his horsemanship prowess with heart stopping tricks, whip cracking and fire jumps.
Later he regales dining companions with stories of yesteryear and the “Legend of the Man from Snowy River” over a three course feast and billy tea.
Save room for dessert.
The health conscious should allow themselves to be naughty for one night, on Sunday there will be plenty of time to bike or hike up a mountain or canoe.
But for the less actively inclined the region lends itself well to indulgence – wine tasting, gentle strolling and spa treatments.
TOP FIVE THINGS TO DO IN THE SNOWY MOUNTAINS IN THE WARMER MONTHS
* Sample delightful schnapps varieties at the Wildbrumby Distillery situated between Jindabyne and Thredbo. Open 10-5pm. wildbrumby.com/
* Lunch at the Snowy Vineyard and Microbrewery. snowywine.com/
* Spirit of the High Country outdoor dinner and horse riding show at Lake Crackenback Resort and Spa. Dates: December 5, 12, 19, January 2, 9, 16 and 23. $110.00 per person for dinner, beverages and show. Evening starts at 6.30pm. Bookings (02) 6451 3000 lakecrackenback.com.au/
* Yarrangobilly cave tour and natural thermal bathing pool.
* Get active – horse riding, mountain bike riding, canoeing, fly fishing, archery and segway tours.
If you go:
* Lake Crackenback is a 2.5 hour drive from Canberra and a stone’s throw away from Jindabyne.
* The writer was a guest of Lake Crackenback Resort and Spa.